Thursday Moda #34 and Apple Picking in Michigan.
Happy Thursday You All!
OK, finally, about a month and a half later, I am finally doing this post about our first (but not last) apple-picking trip of the season. I guess better late than never and today is the perfect day since I expressed my love for Potter's Clay (which is like a Dark Rust Color) yesterday. Today I am back with another Potter's Clay Top - this Fall Floral Chiffon Blouse from Loft (currently sold out online, but I got it for a steal on clearance, at my store). Today's post is photo-heavy because there were so many great snaps I took during our first trip to the local Apple Orchard+Cider Mill with my daughter, this year. We were joined by my cousin Mariela (pictured below, she is also wearing a Potter's Clay Tank Top), her brother and sister-in-law and their two kids: the baby boy, Miles and the blonde girl, Mollie - who is Vivian's best friend. Vivian is only 3 months younger than Mollie, but my girl is a little peanut so yeah Mollie looks at least a year older, lol.
We went to Erwin Orchards and before picking our apples, we got a dozen donuts and a gallon of apple cider we all shared outside as a mini picnic. Of course, besides two large bushels of apples, we picked more yummy donuts and fresh cider to take home. This first time we picked McIntosh, Ginger Golds and Gala apples. We need to go back for some Gold Delicious, Red Delicious and Fuji apples which are in season, currently. It was a little cool on the shade that day but it definitely warmed up and the sun was hot. I paired my Rust Floral Blouse with my New Lightly-Distressed Dark Wash Jeans from Aeropostale, the Cognac Laceup Sandals and a lighter Cognac Bag (any shade of cognac, camel or brown pairs so well with Potter's Clay/Rust) and I accessorized with a Chocolate Brown Sea-pearl Necklace a dear friend of mine has gifted me over a decade ago. I also love my Taupe+Black Sunnies. My outfit matched all the apples and some of the leaves' colors around me, that day. But Vivian's Outfit was my favorite. She is wearing a lot of Bows which she loves. The Gray Tunic and Cropped Black Leggings which are a set have Silver Sequined Bows, her Silvery Gray Ballet Flats have bows on the middle strap and there is a Baby Blue Hello Kitty Bow Headband on her hair. She loved the entire excursion, getting in and out of "the train" and eating both apples and donuts. But she mostly enjoyed spending time with her cousins, especially with Mollie.
Look at that gorgeous field of sunflowers - which are probably my third favorite flowers after white roses and calla lilies. This is my favorite picture of the day. By the way all of these photos were taken with my smart phone. Most of these are not edited at all, a few have some brightness or filters provided by my phone.
Some fun facts about apples and Michigan:
- There are over 7500 varieties of apples in the world, of which over 2500 varieties grow in United States.
- The 10 most popular apple varieties (in this exact order) are Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, Cortland, Gala, Fuji, Golden Delicious, Red Delicious, Jonagold, McIntosh and Ginger Gold.
- Michigan has not only the best apples in the country, but some of the best of the continent and some of the best in the world.
- Apple blossom is the state flower of Michigan.
- Most apples in the US come from Washington, New York and Michigan.
- Apples are grown commercially only in 36 states.
- Apples are a member of the rose family.
- Apples come in all shades of reds, yellows and greens which coincidentally are the three most popular shades/color groups of leaves, too. Apples and leaves symbolize Fall.
- Apples are grown commercially in only 36 states.
- My favorite American dessert is none other than apple pie. I love it warmed up, ala mode with 2 scoops of vanilla ice-cream.
- My favorite apple is Granny Smith. I love that it is a little sour and oh so crisp. Followed closely by Gala and Fuji apples. I also love Golden Delicious. But in all seriousness, I love ALL apples.
- Apples are Vivian's favorite fruit and one of the few she consumes daily.
- Vivian only drinks 100% orange juice and 100% apple cider or apple juice (besides water).
- Apples are also the first solid food Vivian choked on, for the first time as a baby (and let me tell you it was a scary experience).
- "Apple' was one of the first words Vivian learnt in Albanian and later one of the first she learnt in English.
- Europeans eat about 46 pounds of apples annually.
- My parents and us used to have apple trees in our previous homes.
- My dad has currently planted two apple trees in our current home.
- They say "An apple a day, keeps the doctor away". Doctors recommend apples more than any other fruit.
- I probably eat at least an apple a day (if not more).
- Apples are fat, sodium, and cholesterol free. No wonder they are the most recommended fruit for you to eat.
- Apples season is between late August all the way through early to mid November.
- The science of apple growing is called pomology.
- It usually takes 4 to 5 years for an apple tree to produce its first fruit.
- The apple variety ‘Red Delicious' is the most widely grown in the United States.
- A characteristic Michigan salad (that a lot of restaurants offer year around) is fresh apples over a bed of field greens topped with sliced fresh red onions, dried cranberries or raisins, sweetened pecans and topped with either feta, Gorgonzola or blue cheese and it is yummy. It is usually served with an Italian type of dressing, Balsamic vinaigrette or something sweet like Raspberry vinaigrette. I make a salad like this at least once a week.
- An apple can be as small as a cherry or as big as a melon, weighing up to 3 lbs.
- Don't peel your apple. Two-thirds of the fiber and lots of antioxidants are found in the peel. Antioxidants help to reduce damage to cells, which can trigger some diseases.
- Apple sauce is one of kids aged 5 months to 6 years old favorite fruits.
- Most apples are consumed fresh, over 70% of them.
- More than half of the airlines have replaced peanuts or mini pretzels or crackers for a fresh apple as a snack, instead, while flying.
Hope you enjoyed all these fun facts about apples and a little bit about Vivian and I, too.
Potter's Clay/ Burnt Orange Floral Chiffon, Popover, Long-Sleeve Blouse: Loft (New) (identical, Steal), (similar w/ bell sleeves, Great Deal, my Favorite), (similar w/ bow tie, Splurge, love this).
Dark Wash, Lightly Distressed Blue Skinny Jeans: Aeropostale (New) (very similar current option by Aeropostale, Steal), (similar, Great Deal), (similar, small Splurge, my Favorite).
Chocolate Brown, not-equally-shaped Seapearl Necklace: Gifted from a close friend (Very Old) (very similar, Great Deal), (similar, Steal, my Favorite), (bold ombre 3-stranded option, love this).
Black Flower Stud Earrings w/ Silver Stone in the middle: Aldo's (very similar, Steal), (similar, Great Deal, my Favorite).
Taupe, Big-Framed Plastic Sunglasses: Loft (New) (similar, Huge Steal), (oversized cat-eye style, Steal, love these), (similar, Great Deal, my Favorite), (similar w/ mirror lenses, Splurge).
Cognac Vegan Leather Reversible Tote (with Mint inside): Wal Mart (New) (similar, Huge Steal), (similar w/ wallet, comes in many colors, Great Deal, love this), (similar, on Huge Sale, my Favorite), (similar, Fantastic Deal, I own this too).
Cognac Faux Leather Ghilly Gladiator Sandals: Target (New) (similar w/ block heels, Steal, my Favorite), (similar, taller style, Great Deal, love these), (similar, on Huge Sale), (similar, Splurge).
Gray Hi-Lo Tunic Sweatshirt + Black Cropped Leggings (both as a set) embellished w/ Silver Bows: Von Maur (Gifted).
Baby Blue "Hello Kitty" Elastic Bow Hadband: Disney.
Gray Sweatshirt-material Bow Mary Jane Ballet Flats: Old Navy.
130 outfits were linked up last week. And if I can describe my chosen favorites from last week in two words, those words would be "Peplum and Florals". There is clearly a lot of both. Fall Florals continue to attract me the most and no shocker here, I am attracted by my two favorite shades of Fall 2016: Bourdeax or Burgundy and Potter's Clay or Rust. All of the following ladies show the importance of Neutral Shoes (no matter what season) especially nude-colored ones. Thank you all for linking up each week and making Thursday Moda a success!
Today's Featured Blogger is ERICA from Pumps and Pushups who linked up this post featuring two incredible tops she recently purchased from Loft, on sale. Erica is the co-owner behind the blog "Pumps and Pushups" which belongs to her and her sweet sister-in-law Brooke. Together they make a power duo featuring fashion, fitness, food, nutrition, home decor and adorable babies + tots, on their blog. They also co-own an online boutique filled with fitness and gym wear. As you all know I love Loft - I am wearing two items of theirs today, in this post. Erica's outfits are so simple but so put-together, especially for a busy mom to a baby, like she is. I would wear each outfit as she did, head to toe. But I slightly like the dressed up Maroon+Black look a little bit more. I must say though, both of these peplum Loft tops just went to my wish-list. Make sure you check out these girls. Their blog is great and so is their Wednesday "Hey Girl Linkup".
Carly wears the most perfect Floral Swing Dress for Fall with '31 Bits' jewelry from Bali.
Rose who is expecting a boy is clearly singing the blues in her 'Tunic & Leggings', a very-approved Mom look. I love that gorgeous backpack and that it is blue, also.
Joi likes 'Sweaters & Skirts' paired together (I do too). Her color combination of a Rose Quartz pink with off white is feminine and beautiful for Fall.
I am currently craving a ''Fall Floppy Hat' like Fonda's, in the perfect cranberry shade. Great idea to match her blouse to the hat.
Sorry, this post was very long and very heavy in pictures today. Hope you enjoyed all the fun facts. Makes you crave an apple now, no?
P.S. Linking up with Adri + Jessica, Alice, Ana Luiza with Michelle , Annie, Brooke with Erica, Carrie with Jill, Christie, Claire, Dawn, Grace, Elle with Jacqueline, Heather, Jalynn, Jaymie, Jennie, Joules, Jolynne, Karli, Kelly, Lauren, Linda, Liz, Melissa with Sheree + Rachel, Michelle, Nancy, Nicole, Osy, Rachel, Rosie, Sheela, Tara, Tara (Socialite), Vicki, Whitney Nic and The Wardrobe Stylist.
Lastly, linking with the ladies of "The Blended Blog".
Now join the linkup and make some new friends!