Friend Friday: Copying Someone.

1. What are the "unwritten rules" about copying content that we bloggers should all abide by?
First of all, I think we should mention the names of that/those blogger(s) and link to the outfit you are "copying". We should NOT copy these bloggers to a T. This means you should still be yourself while using another blogger as inspiration. For example, let's say I love a layered look with a plaid shirt and well-torn blue-jean "Daisy Duke" type of shorts and tights. I usually don't wear torn super short shorts. Instead I would "copy" this look by wearing a plaid shirt, crisp longer jean shorts and tights. So always be yourself while "copying someone else's look". Stray true to your style!! Wear what feels good on you and what you feel good about. You might copy someone's outfit in its entire shape and form but you can't copy their confidence. You should always let your personality shine through! So being true to yourself is a rule of thumb for me. Also, I'd say use other bloggers as inspirations even when it comes to their closet organization skills, great shopping tips they may have, shopping skills like finding great deals and bargains as they do, learn from their excellent marketing and advertising skills, etc. It is not just about someone's outfit. It isn't just a great outfit that makes a blogger succeed, in my mind.


2. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery. But when it a post imitation and when is it copying?The answer to this question is very much connected to what I answered in the first question. You may copy looks all day every day, but you should still feel and look like yourself. Don't wear something just because all bloggers are wearing it, or don't buy items just because you see those same items in a lot of bloggers' pages, everywhere. Don't purchase something just because it is trendy or it is in style, right now. Basically don't ever allow yourself to turn into someone else. You will lose your sense of self as well as your style identity!!

3. Taking another blogger's idea (perhaps for an outfit, or DIY tutorial) is pretty common in the blogging world. Do you think it is necessary to credit the original source?
Yes it is necessary, respective and fair to source the person who had the idea first. I think it is the right thing to do and always should be done. It will make you more credible, in the long run, also. I think
copyright is a right every single individual should have. I would never claim someone's ideas as my own. I speak from the heart on this sensitive issue since I am very artistic and there are many original things I create: poems, flower arrangements, decors, etc. I would feel just as bad if someone stole my ideas and listed them as their own. They can "copy my style" all they want and they should be inspired from my ideas all day long but at the end of the day, they should mention me as the source. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. If we have this statement in mind while "copying" someone's look or idea(s), then for sure by sourcing that person we are also complimenting them. =)


4. How have you improved your blog by comparing it to other bloggers? Have you made changes due to something you have seen others doing?
So far I haven't really made changes to my blog since I first "opened it" two years ago. I think
it is time to make some major changes. Of course many other stylish girls and super cute blogs attract and inspire me every single day. I am a very creative person by nature but one thing I am not is a computer whiz. I hope in the near future (no later than this summer) I could have a new background, new header and some sponsors for my blog. This will help me generate more followers and readers and therefore branch out my ideas and make me more marketable to the blogging community. It is time for me to speed things up and aim for a better, more professional blog and I might even purchase a domain. I will need some help in this area (I hope that's where other bloggers will come in) in order to do all this marketing and be successful.

5. Have you ever had one of your posts copied by another blogger or publication? How did you handle the situation?
No. Not that I know of, anyways. I hope that day will never come. It is an integrity issue. I don't think it will happen as most bloggers are the types of people who have their own ideas and their own creative juices, but you never know.
That is a bridge no one should ever cross!!

Comments

Popular Posts