School Shootings.

School shootings?! They have become a thing of the day and age we live in. I would even call them a 'trend'. For real! They have become so common that unfortunately it is not shocking AT ALL to wake up one morning and hear of YET ANOTHER school shooting. Preschools, kindergartens, elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, colleges, universities, all of them are not safe. It has happened at every school level. Gunmen do not discriminate. Our country is not safe and unfortunately OUR CHILDREN are not safe. As a mother myself with a child who goes to PreK, every time I hear of a school shooting, my heart skips a beat ...or ten. Why?! Why do these senseless crimes have to happen and continue happening?! Why can't we stop these things from happening?! Is it entirely the gunmen's fault(s) or is it our government's fault, too?! How can "the best country in the world" have so many crimes and more mass shootings than anywhere else in the world?! What is our president doing about that?! And it is not just schools. Churches, shopping malls, stores, movie theaters, stadiums, concerts halls, sporting events, music events, subways, airports, restaurants, hotels. There is no such place 'marked safe' nowadays. You are not safe no matter where you go. You could go to your local super-market and be shot. It is unfortunate and so, sooooo sad.

Image result for broken hearts

The latest school shooting in Florida, of course affected me. I am a human being after all and I am a MOTHER. I can never picture or imagine those mothers who get the worst news of their lives: that their child is killed, their kid didn't make it. For real, how do they make it through the night?! They are a lot stronger than I could ever be. And here I am trying to feel their pain and trying to understand if any of this makes sense, but I got nothing. Instead of spending money on walls and things that affect us way less, we should spend money on what matters the most: our schools where the future of our country learns every day. We should focus on what matters the most: our children. We should invest and think of those innocent lives. And as if Florida's news wasn't enough, there was a local school shooting here in the Metropolitan Detroit area, too. And this one hit me close to home, not only because it is in my home here in Michigan, but also because one of the students killed, happened to be one of the best friends of this 18-year old kid who interns for us. This kid was devastated about his best friend and I got to see his pain with my own two eyes, today. He has every right to be sad, mad and frustrated over what happened.

You guys all know I am originally from Albania. Albania is such a small country compared to USA. It is also less developed than America. Sure, we have everything in Albania and if you visit the capital, you will see beautiful buildings, sky-scrappers, streets full of lights, gorgeous cafes+bars and beautiful restaurants (among other things), so much luxury really. But there is also a lot of poverty in my country and a lot of problems and crimes too. Albania has many problems but we have never, ever had a mass shooting and most definitely never had a school shooting. It amazes me how a country like America who has its shit together for the most part, can't control guns and can't find a way to stop these mass shootings from happening. And let't not talk about mental health at all. I think the easy way to justify any of this is to say that the person was 'mentally ill'. OK, so if they were mentally ill, why are they allowed to live a normal life and have guns?! Why are they not in a mental institution or getting the proper help?! Why are they allowed into our streets, our schools, our stadiums and you name it?! I think pointing fingers in these situations is the easy way out. Our government needs to look at the big picture. Please, please find a way to ban guns forever! And let's not forget that guns are only a tool used to kill. Guns don't kill people. People kill people!! Enough is enough! This needs to stop!! A sea of tragedies because we decide to allow sick and mentally ill people to carry guns?! No, that is not good America!!


Sorry for my rambling but I always touch on current issues and current events and what is going on in the world...

Blogging as usual (outfit posts) will resume on Sunday February 18th.






Comments

  1. Good for you being vocal. From the UK we see the polar opposites on gun control buts it's not our place to have an opinion on that. I can only have huge sympathy for the families involved and the student witnesses. None of which will ever be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so sad that yet again we are facing this. I don't know what the answers are but it needs to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It so sad that this keep happen. On that that they there was also a shooting a mile and half from me. On the military base here in Maryland. It was sad that we aren't safe any where we go. Germany doesn't allow you to own guns. So there never really shooting happening over there. We have been thinking about moving back there.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wary about commenting on this as I really don't understand why the US has such a gun problem. There are a lot of things different to life in AUstralia so I'm wary of calling it wrong as I don't know the culture. I will say that we changed the laws after a mass shooting here and there hasn't been another incident since. It's so hard seeing the news and devastation in the US so frequently when this happens.

    I have a friend in the US personally affected by gun violence (and I'll be deliberately vague here) and she's taken action - she's formed a group, they are involved in politics, she wants to change things and prevent it happening again. Cases like this make her frustrated but determined too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What happened in Florida is heartbreaking. To hear so many children have their life taken away so early is something unthinkable especially since their deaths could have been prevented. It does feel like it's just another day with another shooting and that scares me because it should't be like that and just because it didn't happen where we live doesn't mean it can't happen. That's nerve wrecking because there literally no safe place to go.

    Maureen | www.littlemisscasual.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Ada and thanks for your post. As an outsider (a Brit) it seems such an awful situation and your heart goes out every time to the parents who lose their children. Also as an outsider it seems blindingly obvious that at the very least young people shouldn't be able to buy guns. We had a horrible school shooting in Scotland, the law was changed and guns are hard to come by now, and we've had no more school shootings since. We do have a problem with knives amongst the young though, BUT it is usually one-on-one. So there are no mass killings here. It is something the US will have to solve. Actually, I believe the young will carry this forward and I salute them. Very best to you all x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you replied to this post. I don't understand either how a powerful country like America with tough security has such gun problems. It doesn't compare to our European friend countries like England where you never hear of such a problem, at least not happening in the schools. It is so heartbreaking and something needs to change here. Thank you for your take-back on this.

      Delete
  7. I had a strong response to this tragedy too. It is sad when we look up the news and sigh, "not another one." It is too common. The tragedy in Florida was heartbreaking. I agree, I couldn't imagine what those families are going through, not to mention the kids who have to go back to school. But that event has gotten a powerful response. People have had enough and it is time to change. That is a beautiful thing, even if overdue. One place I read the superintendent of schools in Parkland said, these kids have had enough, if we don't change it, they will. I am proud that we are finally making a stand and fighting for the safety of our existence.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a positive comment or constructive criticism. I appreciate it. I try to reply to your comments as often as I can.

Popular Posts